Tuesday, November 25, 2008

The Gargoyle

The Gargoyle by Andrew Davidson
http://doubleday.com/thegargoyle/praise.html

Contemporary Fiction with Strange and Wonderful Insights to the Past

A horrible wreck. Savage burning. A recovery that seemingly has no end. A bitter, bitter man who has, among other interesting characteristics, a snake living in his spine – a snake who loves to tell him repeatedly that his past was not redeemable, his present is too grotesque to endure and he has absolutely no future.

Enter the lovely, mysterious woman with fanciful stories of a past life and an unforgettable love. The reader must decide for herself how much of her story is the product of schizophrenia and how much is the truth as only she would know it.

No matter what judgments the reader makes, she must see that this is a powerful love story. Even if Marianne’s modern-day relationship with our burn victim is the only part of this story that is true, she gets my vote for “Most Passionate Lover.” And if she made up all the rest, she certainly gets my vote for “Most Creative Lover.”

As the author introduces us to spirits from around the world, we see love in the context of various cultures over a period of several centuries – always unashamedly pure and total.

What I didn’t like:

There was nothing about this book that I found wanting.

What I liked:

Marianne is a master storyteller. I loved each of her stories and every one of her characters was better than the one before. I was amazed at the end of the book when I could not think of one loose thread in this complex tale.

I have developed a new compassion for burn victims and a new level of respect for the medical staff who treat them. The research required to create this part of the story must have been massive.

I loved the parts of the story that occurred in medieval times. It reminded me of Name of the Rose.

I liked the diversity of Mr. Davidson’s characters in the present day.

I liked the story flow. The transition from present day to the past was seamless.

What a delight!