Sunday, January 4, 2009

Empire Falls

Empire Falls by Richard Russo

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empire_Falls

http://www.litlovers.com/guide_empirefalls.html


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Russo

There are so many good things about living in a small town, but in spite of all the benefits, it certainly isn't all good. Having lived in a small town almost all my life, I have come to respect the genuine love and caring that people in such a place can have for one another, but I have also witnessed the emotional distruction of people by neighbors who knew, or thought they knew, everything. I have watched the village raise a child and I have seen other children who struggled with the double assignment of dealing with wretchedness and keeping that wretchedness a secret from the rest of the town. It has always amazed me that small town people can be so interested in some of its characters and deaf and blind to others.

Additionally, the distinction between the haves and havenots is so very blatant. Silk Stocking Avenue runs parallel with Wrong Side of the Tracks Side Street. With no private schools to hide in, Sally Silver Spoon sits right next to Freddy Free and Reduced Price Lunch. Such was the town of Empire Falls.

Now, add the very true and real relationships that people will find no matter where they live and the storytelling ability of Richard Russo and you have a page-turning story.

It was not the most enjoyable book I have read lately, but it did bring back memories - many of which I would just as soon forget and it proved to be a mirror for me to judge my own small town characteristics.

Read it only if you think you can look in that mirror and like what you see.