Sunday, November 28, 2010

The Walking Drum

The Walking Drum by Louis L'Amour

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Walking_Drum


I did not want to read this book and would have never picked it up had it not been selected by a book club I admire and sometimes attend.  After the first 50 pages, I was still baffled by their selection and without the encouragement of a friend I would have put it down without reading another page.  She promised me that if I would just persevere, I would enjoy it.  Yeah, right!  Well, she was right. 

In the end, I had more highlights in this book than in any novel I  had read in many years.

Some of my favorites:

"It is only the ignorant who can be positive, only the ignorant who can become fanatics, for the more I learned the more I became aware that there are shadings and relationships in all things."

" . . . all things are timeless, and whatever lies before is only a page in what lies before that and before that."

"There is no cause worth dying for that is not better served by living."

" . . . a problem clearly defined is already half solved . . . "